I can't afford to keep paying my parents' bills. How do I say no?

Answers:3   |   LastUpdateAt:2012-09-26 06:11:03  

Asked at 2012-09-12 23:37:06
I am a 19 year old college living 3,000 miles away from my family . I pay for college myself with a combination of scholarships and student loans, and I have a part time job that pays my bills . I can pay for everything myself , food , rent , transportation (I have a car , ride the bus ) , medications , etc. My parents did not support me financially in any way MedlinePlus . MedlinePlus Three years ago , the company my father worked for went bankrupt. Because of the economy , has been unable to find a job. There is no chance that you'll find a job that pays what his old job paid , but shall have no regular work , even for a few years until the economy improves. The mother company is on the verge of bankruptcy and had their pay cut in half. They lost their home to foreclosure and are now living in a small rental. MedlinePlus MedlinePlus Because of these problems , my parents have asked me to start sending parts of my paycheck to them. I've been giving enough to help pay the smaller bills , such as heat or water , but can not afford to give more. Recently, my work hours have been reduced ( economy ) , and I 'm not making extra money as much as I used to. I told them I would be unable to continue to help them, but he got angry and told me it's my duty as a daughter to help my parents in a time of need . Say it with everything you have given me , I give back to them . I want to help , but I 'm running out of money . What should I do ?
Answer1Lana Von MonroeAnswered at 2012-09-16 14:43:04
It seems they are trying to put guilt on you . They have to be themselves and not rely on the support of their children to do so. I could see if they were disabled and could not go to work , but to be the man of the house of your father has to take whatever you can to keep a roof over his head . This is what I don'' t get ... he wants to take a menial job , but still have nothing coming in. You 're taking on a lot of responsibility . When not send them more money they will receive the track. Just say no and do not feel guilty about it . They are grown ups they can get help from the government if it comes to that . Good Luck .
Answer2English2Answered at 2012-09-21 16:14:03
Are you an only child , and who still have children at home ? MedlinePlus MedlinePlus If not, then you have to think , they do not have to support anyone but themselves, and two minimum wage jobs should cover that easily.
Answer3adityaAnswered at 2012-09-26 06:11:03
The relationship of parents a child is unlike any other. No work conditions . Pls look back when you were a child , how they have worked to care , sothat you are someone today. Surely one can not return the attention to parents again. MedlinePlus MedlinePlus When you get your point , you are at 19 , doing everything possible to mee the needs of self and parents . We need to tell the details of your income and expenses sothat , his father becomes sensitized and start doing something about it. ASSUME : *** U ME . So be specific and clear to his father, who will surely appreciate your concern for them and the temporary inability to handle more than what you are doing now . ( You know your parents' financial situation )
Related Questions
  • Answer This Question:I can't afford to keep paying my parents' bills. How do I say no?